Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Heat

The weather forecaster says it's gonna be hot this weekend in Wisconsin, hottest days of the year.

What does heat mean for someone living with ms you ask? Lets put it this way, doctors used to use a hot water tub to assist diagnosis, before MRIs, before spinal taps. Doctors noticed that a person living with ms, may experience symptoms like numbness or renewed numbness, weakness or faint feeling, vision issues, even dizzyness in hot water -- the coroner noticed these people were also the ones whose spinal chords had the plaques (immune system induced scars/damage). Yeah. During 2002, I tried to run in the spring and as the spring turned to summer, I stopped running because as my mileage increased, I'd gotten to about a mile and a half, I just felt really unsafe from symptoms that emerged as my body temperature increased.

In the weirdness that ms is and fortunate for me and as my doctor said a few years ago, "[you] seemed to be getting healthier". I haven't been experience the heat issues like I used to. That's not to say I haven't, just not as pronounced.

The miles on the bike in the sun on the hottest days of the year sorta thrust a gut check -- makes me want to pledge twice as much cash for my ride as I thought I'd do at http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?px=2024772&pg=personal&fr_id=7830.

No comments: