Monday, July 14, 2008

50 mile peddle

Abbey and I peddled 50 miles yesterday -- Middleton, through Madison, to Verona, to Riley, to Mount Horeb. Peddling is like walking with wheels.

Riding through Riley, I thought about a friend who is ill. She wants to see Riley. Someday she will see Riley and Abbey and I will be with her then. And of course then I started thinking about Social Security -- how it is there for people when they're older like my grandparents and how it is there for people when they're sick and can't work. In 2 weeks, I'll hit 10 years since diagnosis with ms. This is a milestone for many reasons including celebrating my continued ability to hold a job. That was one of the scariest things to me when I learned that I had ms -- that at 10 years following diagnosis, 90% of people are unable to work.

Well, if I couldn't work, even at age 36 I'd still be able to collect social security. It wouldn't be much, but at least I wouldn't starve, which is how the so-called "free market" used to treat people before people elected a congress and a president who created it.

No comments: