Wednesday, July 16, 2008

20s and 30-somethings

Last night, the Wisconsin Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society held a social event at a bar in Madison (thanks Great Dane). This was the second event of the group. I was glad that there were other guys living with MS there. Still, women out-numbered men 3 or 4 to 1. I think this is about the ratio in the general public. I do not recommend doing something like going to Iraq to increase your chances of developing the disease as a strategy for meeting girls (Iraq veterans seem to be developing MS at an above average rate, something I worry about for my 5 cousins who served there, especially two first cousins who share with me a common great-aunt who died from complications related to MS in 1971, the year I was born.).

I think it was very smart to begin building 20s and 30-something groups. Really smart. No disrespect more seasoned individuals when I say here what someone said to me when I was first diagnosed, "you might find attending MS support groups difficult". This promotes isolation so I ultimately did get connected with a support group near me when I first returned to Madison, after living in Montana 6+ years, the last 3 with MS, 4 with symptoms and never before attending a group meeting.

I'm glad I got together with other people in my age group living with MS last night. From having attended support groups, I'm grateful for the science conducted at research universities where new drugs were developed that will help me and those at the bar last night to hopefully never see the years without the therapies too many know or knew like my great-aunt. [all those fundraising activities, like MS walks, rides... help fund the research and provide services to people living with MS, including helping to bring us together to laugh and learn together.]

No comments: