Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Everything is political

Last night I watched Michelle Obama address the National Democratic Committee Convention in Denver. I remembered that Barack Obama was affected by multiple sclerosis and I was reminded that Michelle's dad had ms and died from complications. My great-aunt died from ms complications too. So did my childhood neighbor recently -- she was a mom and I think a year younger than my brother, so only 40 years old. It made me uncomfortably squirm when Michelle said her dad died from complications from ms. Michelle Obama spoke eliquently, amazingly. I admire the Obamas.

Can you believe that our government doesn't even keep track of where all of us living with ms were born, where we lived when we were diagnosed? We don't even know for certain how many people live with ms in the United States (there is anecdotal thoughts that the rate is increasing. why?). You'd think our government would be interested in this information to help find a cure.

Yes, everything is political. Most people don't really think about how politics affects almost everything in their lives. When I drove home from work today, I was able to do so because some people got together to pass laws affecting the roads I traveled -- first a law that there could be a road, the road was variously 2 lanes to 5 lanes because of politics, street lights made me stop at least a half dozen times because of politics, politics dictated how fast I drove. And now in some states, politics affects whether I can update this blog while I drive (probably not a good idea and should not be legal). The mileage my car got during the drive was even affected by politics.

Do you ever hear someone say, "Politics don't affect me"? Silly, huh?

I hope that I never miss more elections than I do Green Bay Packer games (never!).

Tomorrow night I am going to walk what will be a couple miles distributing candidate information (a registered nurse, candidate) door to door. Politics affects me so much that I want to make sure that there are good people on the ballot when I go to vote.

For as long as I'm walking, I'm affecting politics; as long as there's politics, politics affects my walking.

No comments: